Thursday, September 13, 2012

So, what now then?

That, I'm afraid, I can not answer for each of you. All I can say is that, for me, I have no real option that I currently know of or can see taking but one.

As of right now, early September of 2012, I will not be voting in the Presidential election this fall.

I am sure some of you are horrified with that statement. I can hear all of your reasons screaming at me even as I type this. I know. I know. I've said them all to myself already.

"Voting is a privilege that most people in the world don't have! How could you even consider not voting!?"

"A non-vote is a vote for ________" (fill it in)

"As a Christian, you should use your God given vote, not waste it."

"You know, if you don't vote, you can't complain about the outcome..."

Believe me. I know. But all of these fall flat when faced with the choice that I see before me.

Voting is a privilege that most people don't have. That is why I must use this privilege carefully.

A non-vote is not a yes vote for _________. It sounds right and good and persuasive, but it is totally untrue. A non-vote for __________ is simply that a non-vote for ________. Just like when I say, no, I don't want a drink, I mean, no, I don't want a drink. What I do or don't do speaks to that issue not the flip side.

I believe the right to vote is a gift, and by not voting this fall, I believe God is honored in that stand not frustrated that I didn't do it. Sometimes the best thing you can do with a gift is treasure it and not just use it at every turn.

"You can't complain about the outcome..." Fairly said. But as a Disciple of Jesus I'm not permitted to complain anyway. Will this be hard? Yes. Will it be tempting to complain? Yes. Will it make me pray more? I hope so.

These are the types of reasons I wanted to have a blog. To express what I am thinking and why. Do I want to have a conversation about stuff? Sure. But my driver is to be thoughtful about the intersection of faith and life. Don't just do something, go somewhere, say something because of _________. Be better than that! We owe God more than a routine and ritual. We owe Him our intentionality.

As with most things, this could change in the next two months. If it does. I'll be sure to let you know. ;-)

Bearing with Him in Patience,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment